What’s New at Newgen
Get your website tested for ADA compliance todayRead More
What's new at Newgen
Join the audio revolution and experience the full range of audiobook publishing servicesRead More
What's new at Newgen
Introducing NOVA, a customised digital publishing and content distribution platform to host, manage and sell your contentRead More
What's new at Newgen
Complex technical documents made really simple, with our expertiseRead More
- The annual edition of a legal publication is always a heavyweight. Especially when it’s Blackstone’s Civil Practice 2020 – the only major civil work to adopt a narrative approach based on the chronology of a claim. Written by a team of expert practitioners and academics, it provides authoritative analysis on the entire process of civil litigation. Besides covering specialist areas such as insolvency proceedings, sale of goods and human rights, the book features a quick-reference guide that’s detailed and user-friendly.
- Managing this comprehensive full-service volume involved a whopping 10,000 corrections across 2,500 pages. Newgen devised a unique workflow to tackle it. It meant seamless integration of content across the main text, appendices, index and tables – processed in batches, each with its own schedule. Newgen brought in consistency, increased efficiency and established effective coordination between multiple stakeholders. Both the print and electronic versions were issued in record time, done and delivered.
- Newgen was entrusted with a high profile atlas of procedures in ophthalmic and oculofacial surgery. The project involved coordinating with over 100 contributors, managing three levels of review and handling chapter-level changes till the last minute. The book contains more than 1,700 detailed, professionally-rendered line drawings and photographs laid out in a fluid design. Creative and medical art specialists teamed up to create 4-color line art, mapping intricate details to printer-specific guidelines. Newgen provided end-to-end management of the production process with its trademark reliability.
Rigorous quality checks and file validation using tools like PAC3, JAWS and NVDA were carried out to ensure the delivery of an error-free output.
PDF remediation and Microsoft documents were made accessible for 7 input languages, including complex right-to-left (Arabic and Farsi) languages.
- Newgen automated the conversion of academic titles into digital formats for a leading academic publisher. Our proprietary technology, SilkEvolve, and other conversion, workflow management and tracking tools were used to automate, manage and track production, respectively.
- What’s common to these books: The Gun Debate, Dangerous Crooked Scoundrels and Art Scents? Well, they were all produced using a unique workflow designed and implemented by Newgen. It came as an answer to the discomfiture of many authors when it comes to different review formats. The manuscript for most books is submitted in Word format, and so is the first step in the copy editing review by the author. But, the moment the content is typeset, the mode of review shifts to pdf files. Many authors are uncomfortable marking their changes and comments in pdf files and find this shift annoying.
- Newgen devised a customizable MS Word-based workflow to handle the manuscript submission and copy-editing process. The proof generation process was automated, and a Word-based indexing and tabling process was formulated. Besides leading to a significant reduction in content errors, it enabled us to eliminate an entire round of review, gaining three weeks in time to market.
- Ever since its introduction, the Word-based workflow has been seamlessly adopted by several authors. And around 90% of them have consistently voiced their approval.
- The Oxford Textbook of Medicine, Sixth Edition is acknowledged as the ultimate reference book in the world of medicine. To produce this 7,000-page volume, Newgen had to liaise with over 900 of the world’s best clinicians and medical scientists. We navigated through content updates right up to the final stages and managed a high level of typesetting complexity with extensive display and design elements. From immaculate production to timely completion, it was just what the doctor ordered.
- Fifty State Construction Lien and Bond Law, 2020 Edition, as the name suggests, is an all-inclusive guide to lien and bond law in each state and territory of the United States. It provides authoritative and comprehensive coverage of statutes and analysis of key cases in each state, with valuable information on local requirements and procedures.
- The project called for synthesis as well as speed. Newgen handled all the stages of this product, including developmental editing, copy editing, project management, proof corrections, final PDF and online process. The 'smart chart' used to compare the laws across the United States was also updated by Newgen as a value-add service to our client. A complex exercise, efficiently completed.
- For a bulky legal journal, an editor would typically spend an inordinate amount of time in searching the publisher’s database for authorised citations. At Newgen, we thought of ways in which we could free up the editor’s time for more productive tasks. In consultation with the development and copy editing teams, we decided to come up with an API tool that would do the copy editor’s job.
- First, the technical feasibility had to be checked and any security threat from the program countered. The client’s editorial team in Australia was taken into confidence once the technical assessment was done. The resultant interface was tested and fine-tuned to eliminate any glitches.
- Here’s how the AI copy editor works. When an editor runs the program on an unedited manuscript, it identifies and fetches all the cases quoted in an article. It searches for every identified case on the database, picking up any authorised and media neutral citations. In their absence, the tool looks for second priority citations. If there is none available, the original citation from the author is retained. The program arranges the order of the citations as defined by the publisher and creates a report listing all the cases without the authorised and media neutral citations.
- All this with the editor not lifting a finger.
- A detailed character study helped conceptualize and illustrate 70 characters with varied facial expressions set against 160 different backgrounds. Newgen helped the publisher with analysis, planning, processing, designing and reviewing.
- Newgen developed a web-based XML portal for faster file validation, while automation helped in hastening the delivery process by correcting the Schematron errors. The process of identifying faulty stocks and resending it to the vendor for corrections, distribution and archival storage process has been automated.
- Provided in a handsome box format, the RED BOX®: Rules and Regulations of the Securities and Exchange Commission includes over 40 color-coded booklets ideal for carrying to client meetings. It provides quick access to all the U.S. securities acts and SEC regulations, rules, and key forms. Each classic format (binder or box) comes with a bi-monthly update service, which automatically integrates new sections and revises old ones accordingly. No more delays, gaps, or outdated documents.
- This superbly organized primary reference tool presents a unique technical challenge because there are two print versions, a loose leaf and a boxed set of booklets, which are updated monthly in turn. Newgen developed all the formats simultaneously, with a spine XML created to avoid redundant manuscript preparation. This enables corrections in one format to be carried over to another seamlessly. End to end, the production cycle is a mere 15 days.
- When structuring mergers and acquisitions, there's only one way to be sure that you've thought of all the tax and legal consequences: rely on Mergers, Acquisitions, and Buyouts by Martin D. Ginsburg, Jack S. Levin and Donald E. Rocap. It offers invaluable analysis and guidance, solutions to real-life business problems, and a plethora of checklists and flow charts. Updated with the latest legislation and rulings, this gold-standard resource is available as a five-volume print set, a bundle of print and CD-ROM editions, and as an online edition. Despite the scale of the project, Newgen executed it in just 20 working days. Tight deadlines? We’re game.
- Newgen digitized tracking of self-publishing titles by developing online solutions to improve the efficiency of the entire process, right from collection to distribution.
- An authoritative guide to civil procedure, The White Book features the sources of law, supplemented by extensive expert commentary. More judges and lawyers turn to this guiding light than any other, both for the quality of advice it presents and for the latest version of rules.
- Since 2016, Newgen has published multiple editions and volumes in Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia and the United Kingdom, tracking and certifying each title for launch. One might say we wrote the book on timely delivery.
The Almanac of the Federal Judiciary has built its considerable reputation by providing balanced and responsible judicial profiles. Newgen created a unique online database of all US federal judges, and all key bankruptcy and magistrate judges. This exhaustive compilation contains valuable, hard-to-find material on every federal trial judge and appellate judge in the US. Complete with biographical information and judgement evaluations, this go-to resource is updated and published online monthly.
- Each judge's academic and professional qualifications, experience on the bench, noteworthy rulings, and media coverage
- Candid, revealing commentary by lawyers, based on first-hand experiences before their local federal judges
- Helpful tips for your litigating team in shaping case strategy
- Important insights into each judge's style, demeanour, knowledge, and management of courtroom proceedings
- Continuing in-depth research, with semi-annual updates
- Detailed illustrations were drawn and reproduced from rough sketches provided by the author. It was creatively and vividly represented with appropriate colours and textures. The art program was done ahead of the typesetting process in order to get the illustrations redrawn and approved by the authors before placing them in the pages. The final approved art was certified by Newgen's manufacturing team for print quality.
- The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code 2016 is a 511-page book with a detailed compilation of select judgments under the code, including an executive summary. Writing can be a lonely job, but Newgen ensured remarkable teamwork in its publication management. Through copy editing, typesetting and the critical proofreading process, we worked in tandem with the author, incorporating the desired changes and apprising him of updates on a regular basis. The date of publication arrived tamely, for the book was published well ahead of schedule.
- Helped Ingram resolve distribution and validation issues for 20,000 titles every week. Automated the fixing of tags by developing a web portal.
- Worked on restructured workflow with parallel processes to optimise review time for production. Ensured to create an impact on first glance with the editor and the author as well as to avoid too many revised stages.
- Newgen’s team of lawyer-editors are managing this newsletter. They regularly source all updates in the federal tax area and identify newsworthy material for Federal Tax Day.
- Five women, once strangers, form a meaningful bond. In essence, that’s the storyline of a self-published book for which Newgen was tasked with a bespoke cover design. A heart-breaking yet funny novel, it involves mixed emotions like empathy, strength, and the beauty of love. It is set in modern-day Georgia and tells a tale of friendship that blossoms over time.
- Our art directors and visualizers sought to capture the mood of the book, be in tune with the genre, and reflect the aesthetic sensibilities of the intended reader. The award-winning cover design features five coffee mugs of different colours to symbolize the coming together of kindred spirits. Each mug is filled with black coffee, indicative of the things they share in their relationship. The choice of font and the setting of each word in a different size and format serve as a signpost that each character hails from a unique background.
- There’s nothing like a Falcon Guide to gear you up for the outdoors. It gives you reliable information on everything from hiking and camping to bike riding and rafting – where to go, how to get there and what activities to do. After 40 years of adventure, hundreds of books, thousands of maps, and countless trips into the wilderness, a Falcon Guide continues to feel as much at home on a coffee table as beaten in a backpack.
- Newgen produced several complex Falcon Guides true to their heritage. It involved managing erratic author schedules (they were more likely to be in the wilderness than at their desks!) and ensuring a quick turnaround time in order to meet season-bound release dates. We fact-checked data, verified maps, ensured the content was in place for real-time applications, provided GPS coordinates for precise navigation, and even pinned local events and attractions for explorers on the move. With high-resolution photographs and an aesthetically pleasing design, Newgen brought alive the lure of the outdoors.
- Newgen partnered with Yale University Press and the Posen Foundation to publish the multi-volume Posen Library of Jewish Culture and Civilization. Though some of the entries were previously published in English, others were newly commissioned translations. We had to be mindful of ancient writing styles and idiosyncrasies to stay true to the original meaning. There were multiple editors involved in this mammoth undertaking where each volume runs into over a thousand pages. Some volumes required transcribing hundreds of tear sheets, converting them into Word documents and inserting them into the correct location for the new material. This had to be achieved in conjunction with scores of paintings, drawings and photographs. It was gratifying to see this complex and extensive exercise result in beautifully edited, typeset and bound repositories of Jewish culture.
- With all the controversy and debate surrounding it, Brexit has been one of the most critical events of our times. Denis Macshane, UK's former Minister of State for Europe, shares his unique perspective in Brexit: How Britain will leave Europe. Published at record speed, the book involved frequent reprint updates to retain the topicality of this high-profile subject. Newgen provided a full-service workflow, including the services of an expert copy editor, to see it through. As per timetable.
- Newgen worked on Hebrew and English editions of a 560-page academic title with perfect design adaptation. This edition had the commentary in Hebrew and English side-by-side, with the help of a copy editor fluent in Hebrew. The book went into production after multiple quality checks.
The print and online versions of the taxation guides for this publisher are seamlessly updated using customized processes and tools.
The integrated modules of Newgen’s editorial framework (CE Genius) enable effective and consistent enhancement of content, which then helps the editorial team in updating content efficiently, in conformance with the publisher’s style, into the framework of the WMS (Workflow Management System). A module for language editing, NLP (Natural Language Processing), is also plugged in to the WMS.
The online versions are updated and released within 24 hours of receipt of updates, while the print versions are completed in 8 weeks.
- End-to-end legal publishing for 300 primary law products and 160 legislation products, with over 20,000 updates a year. That’s Newgen at work. Our process involves content sourcing, news selection and writing (which is completed within two hours of sourcing!), and legal consolidation. Newgen’s automated publishing platform helps produce flawless print and online publication.
- A reputed scientific journal had to be published in real-time to ensure that the scientific community is up-to-date with the latest breakthroughs. Newgen developed a technology platform that provided seamless multiple workflows and solved the problem of tracking academic titles through a real-time tracking tool. Authors, journal managers, editors & publishers are all seamlessly integrated with this tool.
Newgen did a thorough analysis and evaluation of the different downstream requirements of the digital and print products, the magnitude of the work involved, and the delay in the current workflow (2-3 weeks).
A workflow was designed where the entire spectrum of requirements was captured in a single source file and preserved during the life cycle of the entire production process.
Every change request was carefully analyzed for updates, keeping the downstream requirements considered always
- Imagine an eBook at your fingertips, complete with all the information you need and offering useful tips as well. Newgen partnered with the popular Frommer’s Travel Guides to create an interactive experience for those bitten by the travel bug. The features included integration with Google Maps link, an offline option to jump between maps and reviews, seamless flipping, quick search capabilities, and embedded links to recommended websites. How did anyone ever travel without this?
- Modern Persian, Elementary Level is a cutting-edge language textbook with a multitude of engaging speaking activities in each chapter. Newgen created a full-fledged companion website for it, with a complete audio dictionary, over 300 audio and video presentations, and a special appendix with classroom activity material for instructors. To bring alive this interactive experience, we hosted more than 800 rich-media files, linked every word in the dictionary to audio files, and devised a searchable audio dictionary. As one might say, a solution far from elementary.
- ONIX data file format is the global XML standard format for transmitting title information. Instead of using InDesign to create the catalogue, NewGen configured various designs into the system and used ONIX pick up appropriate design depending on the information available in the XML and transformed into beautiful catalogue with a single click. The output was accurate and quick with a significant gain in time and cost, by reducing the manual workflow.
- Clinical Infectious Diseases is a leading journal that publishes articles on a variety of subjects that are of interest to practitioners and researchers. The journal is frequently cited in multi-disciplinary medical circles, and the articles published enjoy international readership within days of submission. Newgen manages the content with meticulous efficiency and speed. We offer full-service management, accommodating multiple reviews, exclusive styles and niche preferences. One of the highlights of our services is the management of advertisements inserted into the issues. In addition to regular high volumes, the journal is also inclined to publish useful supplements every now and then. Subject to late requests from stakeholders and an extremely fastidious editorial office, the journal is one of the best examples of what we can do.
- Newgen worked with a leading educational publisher to develop a French multi component series, including audio and video. A team of MFL specialists managed components across three years, building relationships through collaboration and a strong one-team approach with the customer. Careful assessment of interdependencies between project components alongside streamlining of workflows ensured quality and efficiency.
- Newgen was commissioned to produce a series of literacy readers for primary school children. A dedicated team of in-house project managers in the onshore team, worked closely with several illustration agencies and skilled offshore design studio. Project Managers directly commissioned authors from an approved pool and directed every aspect of each title from initial draft through to signed-off content ready for press. Titles were delivered on time and the series is contributing to the client's rapid growth and tremendous success.
- Pablo Kalmanovitz examines the origins of war and explores its contemporary relevance from a legal perspective. In The Laws of War in International Thought he reconstructs key moments in the intellectual history of the laws of war, from early modernity to nineteenth-century humanitarianism.
- This ambitious title presented Newgen with an equally ambitious deadline. Newgen took on the challenge, managing over 35,000 changes and updates at the proof stage, validating corrections and minimizing the impact on cost and schedule. To the client’s immense delight, the book hit the stands right on schedule.
- A series of study guides in healthcare had to be adapted to other fields like education, social work and policing, without having to create the content all over again. Newgen sourced the content from a core XML repository and converted it into Word so that authors and editors could work in a familiar environment. We redesigned the workflow to provide for agility and put additional editorial checks in place. Through constant liaison with the authors and the publisher, we delivered the content across subject areas – with the Newgen stamp of timeliness and quality.
- About 100 academic titles from the collection of works from the University of Michigan Library were scanned and converted into digital formats. This was done by adhering to the contract stating that scanning should be done on US soil. For this, our dedicated team in Texas scanned the content and carefully shared it with the conversion team for a thorough check and conversion into PDF & epub formats. The biggest challenge for the team was to carry out the process during the COVID-19 lockdown scenario, which was successfully completed efficiently and accurately.
- Efficient workflow for the production of advanced AI information sheets for a publisher of illustrated works was designed and executed with perfection. Automation technology was used to create a black box solution that converted the ONIX data to advanced information sheets, which saved time, improved quality and also helped the publisher stay up to date with the content.
- The Mayo Clinic is a non-profit American academic medical center focused on integrated health care, education, and research. Publishing 30+ books for this renowned organization was a prestigious project for Newgen. The challenge involved managing extensive updates and multiple reviews, in addition to typesetting and design complexities. For instance, we had to produce four-colour books with several figures, tables, boxes, and videos. We created a typeset sample for every title, planned an extensive batch-wise schedule, and designed a workflow that incorporated updates right up to the last minute. We managed the entire process so smoothly that we continue to be Mayo Clinic’s premier choice when it comes to book production.
- The different elements on the print pages had to be converted into interactive & inspiring content. The ebooks were created with intuitive features like ingredients changing based on the serve requirements using a Java Script API. enhanced search features included a recipe level navigation, seamless flip between pages, bookmarks and quick search capabilities. It also included embedded links to recommendations' websites, video demonstrations and reviews.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is the national public health agency of the United States. It publishes the Yellow Book (a health-related guide for international travellers) once in two years. This global resource for health professionals is well known for its accurate and up-to-date compilation of the US government’s latest health guidelines related to international travel, including vaccination and precautionary measures.
- The CDC Yellow Book is a complex 500+ page compilation with extensive maps, tables, figures, and charts. Newgen devised and managed a consistent, custom workflow across each edition for typesetting, art, XML, manufacturing and project management. There were multiple rounds of review with extended review periods at every stage. Newgen handled the rollout to perfection, accommodating extensive updates until the final stages of production.
- Like one of Cary Grant’s famous movie titles, this definitive account of his life is an unforgettable read. Newgen was tasked with completing the production of Cary Grant, The Making Of A Hollywood Legend in less than two months. We optimised the review system to create a quick turnaround, and created a customised workflow to boost efficiency. The book, like his stellar performances, proved to be a hit.
- Newgen took up the second edition of Fed Power with the deadline of a month for completion. If this weren’t challenging, Christmas holidays were round the corner. Sure enough, we pulled out all the stops. We fast-tracked the review process, ensured regular status updates, and achieved the delivery a day ahead of schedule, much to the delight of our client.
- Archbold has established a reputation for being an authority on criminal law since 1822. However, 2020 was different. A pandemic was running amok and a lockdown was in place. Yet the book had to be released. The Newgen team had less than a month to edit, typeset, create indexes and conduct internal and external reviews. We set up processes worthy of the crisis on hand. With timely status reviews, chapter-wise processing and ceaseless quality checks, we ensured a smooth rollout.
- A report published in 2020 exposed the ways that authors from particular racial and ethnic backgrounds were marginalized and disadvantaged in the UK publishing industry. Over 100 people working in the publishing industry were interviewed, including authors, agents, publishers, editors and festival curators. The team at Newgen was tasked with converting this report into a booklet in time for the event ‘Rethinking Diversity Week’. The only hitch: we had less than a month to collate content, design and deliver the book. And we did.
- Over 500,000 complex image-based loose leaf pages had to be converted by sourcing the latest version and deciphering the information precisely. Time was at a premium, too – we only had eight weeks to complete the mammoth task. Newgen devised a unique workflow for different source files, with bi-directional functionality of the links. This helped us match the printed version with enriched features. We captured footnotes with pop-up features and introduced semantic coding for easy reference. To cut a long story short, Newgen delivered yet again.
- The early learning book by Ladybird required heavily templated typesetting and modifying the process to align with the client's requirements as they were new to the packaging process. To ease out the process, the designs were carefully developed with in-built QA checks and corrections that were incorporated immediately. The system had to be restructured for this client, in particular, to ease out any bottlenecks and ensure both teams were on the same track. By the end of the project, Ladybird was extremely happy with the service they received and the output.
- (LWW - UK), medical journal publisher, who was already signed up with an existing vendor approached Newgen for editorial service, composition and project management for their time-bound project after being extremely satisfied with our pilot-scale output. With our effective project management, the entire project, right from document structuring, XML conversion & copyediting was completed error-free within just 2 days from the time we received the manuscript, winning the trust & confidence of the authors. Moreover, the transition was hassle-free and also reduced the cost significantly.
- Brill, a renowned academic publisher, sought to enlist a preferred vendor that would handle huge volumes of production while adhering to their tight budget specifications. Newgen stepped in with customary resolve, introducing a technical solution that used a Word-based workflow to ease the process of collaboration and seamlessly integrate changes and updates. Not only did we achieve a cost-effective solution but also sealed the project in good time.
- Designing a systematic workflow, proper scheduling, effective communication and attention to detail helped us rebuild the entire process with accurate updates and monitoring, thereby meeting the author's expectation. Using Pubkit, feedback from all the stakeholders were incorporated diligently. Proactive project planning and timely delivery of high-standard output impressed the client leaving them happy with our service.
- The author of the book insisted that we share a hard copy of the book for his review and sharing the work manually during the COVID-19 crisis was not possible due to safety issues. Our Project Manager and OUP convinced him that the soft copy would be easily readable with perfect typesetting and design. Our entire team worked hard to ensure that the files were error-free with prompt communication and efficient incorporation of feedback. The author was extremely happy with the output delivered, praising the team and the Project Manager.
- The author’s main requirement was that the copy-editing processes be carried out without affecting the style of writing. The Project Manager along with OUP proactively coordinated with the author, collating all the discussion and requirements into an instruction sheet, which was shared with the copy editors for perfect implementation of the changes. Project plan, review and timelines were shared with the author and the project was delivered flawlessly without any delay from the schedule.
- The conventional method used to update the court judgements or official documents was carried out manually which was time-consuming as well as prone to human error. By integrating SMART technology, the files were converted to XML and published in real-time, thereby reducing work time drastically. Moreover, the automated system helps maintain a uniform pattern and ensures easy bucketing of the content for seamless conversion.
- Complex maths content was deciphered and transformed into perfect designs and illustrated into charts, graphs and figures. These designs were clear, precise and engaging with the main objective of enhancing the learning experience for the students in 5-15 programmes.
- Brill, an academic publisher, was looking to finalise a vendor for their project within expected budget specifications. Newgen introduced a technical solution to ease the work process. With workflow formats in Word, Indesign & PDF, changes and updates were seamlessly integrated to the final output reducing the time and price for the project.
- Converted over 4000 books in multiple languages like Latin, European and Russian into ebooks using our conversion tools. Along with technology, we also had a language expert to manage, review and validate content in various languages resulting in speedy and high-quality rendition of ebooks.
- Delivered high-quality publication services within a restricted time of 2 months. Customized workflows and an optimised review system ensured a quick turn-around.
- 23 GCSE educational titles had to be aligned with the recent updates - made comprehensible and accessible. From design & illustration, editorial, project management to accessibility services, the entire project was completed without any errors and within a month. Over 2901 print pages were delivered accurately and on-time with customised workflows that were framed to accommodate design revisions, evaluation, communication and delivery timelines.
- Extending A level online course content with engaging illustrations & designs for the Harrow school, which offers a full time online learning curriculum. 900 lessons and 7200 screens of content are being developed.
- A dedicated team across publishing, content and digital technology specialists were put together for creating the elearning books. The project management team oversaw the process, identified areas for improvement and oversaw the mediating risk.
- Russian Arbitration Law and Practice is a seminal book by the acclaimed legal mind Oda Hiroshi. A stickler for precision, the author called for several updates at every stage of the project. Newgen didn’t disappoint. He was treated to the thorough and hassle-free publishing process that’s the Newgen trademark.
- Newgen delivered high-quality typesetting for a mathematics academic book for school students of different grades. Dynamic project management, with a keen focus on design & meticulous typesetting ensured exceptional visual output of the layout by combining the geometric artworks, measurement units & formulae without any flaws.
- Newgen took on a prestigious collaborative project and commissioned 21 legal and 15 accountancy stalwarts to see it through. It took skilled project management, efficient coordination and continuous monitoring to bring out this market-leading guide. Meeting the parameters of time, cost and flawless execution.
- Newgen worked in close collaboration with Malaysia’s acknowledged constitutional law expert, Shad Saleem Faruqi, in bringing out this valuable book. From the beginning we were clear that it had to be authoritative as well as easy for the layman to understand. Accordingly, we spent several hours in discussion and analysis to craft a reader-friendly guide to the functioning of the Constitution.
- The project entailed handling of 33 loose leaf updates a year, with the format acting as a complete guide for regular updates, forms, checklists and guidelines pertaining to company secretarial practice. Maintaining constant coordination with the internal teams, Newgen speeded up the review process with the authors and editors to ensure timely delivery. The secret of success lay in consistency and efficiency.
- Malaysia’s new Companies Act replaced a statute that had been in force for over 50 years, giving rise to an urgent need for a guide that would help understand its impact. Leveraging Newgen’s strong relationship with the author, we commissioned a book that would help navigate the transition to the new rules. We designed innovative features like “Points to Ponder” that covered potential implementation difficulties, and a “Comparative Table” that matched provisions of the old Act with the new. Timeliness and clarity – Newgen’s solution had it all.
- A leading medical publisher approached Newgen with a demanding requirement: create over 100 medical illustrations within three weeks! The figures had to be anatomically perfect, not to mention aesthetically appropriate. Newgen put together a team of professional artists and subject matter experts to handle the intricacies of the medical illustrations. We made use of advanced drawing tools and techniques for precise rendition of layers and angles. Our objective was to enable readers to grasp important details at a mere glance, rather than having to read chunks of text. Doing it within the stipulated time was indeed an achievement.
- An entire set of books had to be published in time for a new law course that was scheduled to begin shortly. The challenge was great because one of the books had to be rewritten and fast-tracked into production. Newgen managed all aspects of production, including design creation, copy-editing, typesetting, proofreading, indexing, creating tables of legislation and ebooks. It not only took planning but also a great deal of flexibility to coordinate the publishing of multiple titles. Needless to say, we did it.
- Newgen handled the production of a 3600-page new-edition book from Thomson Reuters’ Hong Kong division featuring a list of over 6,300 cases. Unlike the previous edition, the cases had to be sorted by jurisdiction, in addition to being updated. Rather than a case-by-case approach, we created a mini database for each jurisdiction, matching every report series with the table of cases. This helped us create clusters of case citations with similar report series, which were then assigned the appropriate jurisdiction. Once this was done and the cases were grouped together, the cases within each jurisdiction were sorted in alphabetical order. No doubt a laborious task, but one that achieved the desired results.
- The Laws of Australia is Thomson Reuter’s flagship product published in 36 volumes. Eminent legal professionals contribute 330 titles in this product, with at least five titles to be published every month, both online and in print. In all, a minimum of 1000 pages in a final, publishable state. To fast-track typesetting, we adopted a Word-based workflow where the key legal references and elements are already enriched in the Word file. Upon updating, all the changes are accepted in Word and the file is converted to a print-ready PDF with a click of a button. That’s thrice the speed of traditional typesetting!
- A leading legal publisher in the United States showed hesitation in handing over a very sensitive part of their business to Newgen. From a pilot project of five books to 100 products in a short course of time, the client and we have come a long way together. There are many aspects to this fruitful relationship. For one, there’s respect and diplomacy on our part in working with every author. Our response is quick, sensitive and nuanced. Our emails, for instance, don’t follow a template but are tailored to the author at hand. Above all, we win their trust and deliver when it matters.
- The BCDR International Arbitration Review, the journal of the Bahrain Chamber for Dispute Resolution, is a biannual journal with contributions in English and Arabic. The main challenge, obviously, is the typesetting of the Arabic articles. At Newgen, our ability to incorporate changes speedily, our immaculate proofreading and quality checks pass muster in any language.
- Foundations of Global Health and Human Rights was scheduled for release when the pandemic broke out. The authors were of the opinion that the book’s subject area should reflect the new reality, and therefore content had to be updated. Moreover, the book had to be published before the US semester cycle. All this meant that Newgen rolled up its sleeves and got down to the task. We validated the changes carefully, streamlined the proofreading process and fast-tracked our production without compromise on quality. The end result: mission accomplished.
- Essays commemorating 50 years of legal education at UITM. Containing 14 select contributions on various aspects of Malaysian law, the book is worthy of its landmark timing. It’s also a sterling example of Newgen’s proficiency when it comes to publishing consultancy and project management, everything from cover design and legal editing to print and delivery – in a record time of two-and-a-half months.
- In continuation to our commissioning, editorial & project management services for a law book, we partnered with the same author for the next project. Efficient project coordination & timely feedback incorporation helped in meeting the tight timelines for publishing a complete guide on retrenchment, especially during the times of an ongoing pandemic. The book covers details on reducing the dependency on human resources, which was the need of the hour and was published in simple language for a wide range of audience to comprehend the content.
- The Malaysian Guide to Advocacy by Fahri Azzat is an illuminating book for accomplished and novice lawyers alike. Newgen worked closely with the author and even collaborated in adding a new section and restructuring the book. Our agile project management ensured that the book was quickly commissioned and its special features stood out.
- Language Learning in Children Who Are Deaf and Hard of Hearing is a book that uses a special feature called glossing, which is a written format of the American sign language. It is introduced in place of words, so readers can understand the text. Glossing has to be added at specific words in sentences, and at specific locations in words. There is no room for error.
- Newgen undertook the task with meticulous attention to detail, ensuring that each location of glossing was in perfect position and alignment. At the end of the project, the client had only one word to say: Excellent!
- Our team was on the verge of completion of the project for publication when the author requested law updates relevant to the current pandemic. With quick execution by hastening the internal processes & ensuring stringent quality checks to avoid last-minute hassles, nearly 2000+ changes were incorporated without any flaws within the scheduled timeline. The authors were happy with our quick response and workflow management, especially when this was completed and delivered amidst a global health crisis.
The world's leading publishers work with Newgen
We create smart publishing solutions with our content,
process and technological capabilities.
We challenge the traditional model of publishing services through our platforms.
Streamline your workflow to seamlessly track all your content through the production process.
Automate the process of print-to-EPUB conversion through a reflowable eBook conversion platform.
Operating through a secure borderless workspace for our clients across the globe makes us ready for the new normal
Meet the Team
MD, Newgen UK
Having worked with publishers across the areas of academic, trade and education, Jo Botrill now manages everything from commissioning to print. Prior to working with Newgen, Jo worked with Cambridge University Press, Taylor & Francis and Macmillan, managing a range of content types and workflows.
MD, Newgen Europe
Bas Straub joined Newgen in 2014, post the amalgamation of his media production company - Konvertus - with Newgen Publishing, Europe. Prior to Konvertus, Bas was the director for product development and market development in Elsevier for 13 years.
A veteran in sales and business development, Karan Malhotra has over 22 years of experience in legal process outsourcing, legal content and workflow management, intellectual property and more. Prior to Newgen, Karan has managed a portfolio of onshore and offshore projects and processes in US, India, Mexico and China with a team size of 500+ at Thomson Reuters, Exela Technologies and Lason to name a few.
Director - Digital Accessibility & Publishing Solutions
Will is an experienced professional, with a history of working in the information technology and publishing services industry like Thomson Reuters, OUP, Justis. He guides our accessibility projects and helps with conforming our client's projects with usability and accessibility requirements of Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act and American with Disability Act and Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1. He holds a bachelor degree in law and a master in international law.