- Produce back of the book indexes for titles from the UK & US onshore Production teams, working across a range of subjects according to your specialism/ training.
- Support the onshore team with ad hoc indexing tasks, including re-pagination, index evaluation and rework.
- Work as part of a team, helping to evaluate the work of colleagues and to provide support to others when required.
- Work to tight deadlines, often being responsible for several projects at once.
- Communicate clearly to your colleagues about schedules, identifying risks of any delay.
- Respond to and act on feedback promptly.
- Establish Newgen as a centre for indexing excellence by contributing to development and improvement of workflows and processes.
- Take part in continuing professional development and training opportunities as required
- Indexing (conventional and embedded/linked)
- Index rework
- Index evaluation and QC
Skills, Qualifications and Experience:
- Two years back of the book indexing experience (essential)
- Experience in indexing at least one of the following types of book: humanities, social sciences, law (including legal tables), science, engineering, medicine (essential)
- Impeccable editorial, organisational and communication skills (essential)
- Experience in producing linked indexes (through Word and or unique ID method) (desirable)
- Experience in using indexing software (for example Macrex or Cindex) (desirable)
- An understanding of editorial and production processes (desirable)
- Take responsibility for the quality of each index
- Liaise with Project Managers over author/client feedback and expectations, on occasion dealing directly with authors
- Meeting all index related deadlines (100%) as agreed with the Project Manager
- Make full use of the functionalities in Pubkit (a proprietary technology of Newgen) to manage all relevant tasks as assigned
- Achieve Accredited Indexer (AI) status from the Society of Indexers (if not already obtained)
Get one step closer to working with a diverse and vibrant publishing team!
Get in touch with us at: