Commissioning Editor – Maternity cover
Full-time (min 9 months)
Newgen Publishing UK is a fast-growing publishing services company based in Gloucestershire. Part of the Newgen KnowledgeWorks group, we provide UK-based editorial and project management services to academic, education and ELT publishers, managing everything from concept to product delivery.
We are currently looking for a Commissioning Editor to come and work on our expanding list of social sciences titles within our Contract Publishing team. This exciting and varied role will be vital to the company in continuing to ensure the timely delivery of high-quality print and digital projects for our customers.
This is a minimum 9-month full-time position. It would suit a candidate with some previous publishing experience, who is looking to take their next step in the industry.
Newgen Publishing UK is an open-minded employer and flexible working options will be considered.
£26,000–£30,000* depending on experience.
Head of Contract Publishing and Director of Academic.
- To commission or acquire titles predominantly within social sciences.
- To work as part of the contracts publishing team to build a strong pipeline of forthcoming titles and ensure they travel through the pre-production system smoothly.
- To communicate with authors effectively both pre-contract and post-contract.
- To write marketing material for the titles commissioned and upkeep metadata records accurately.
- To liaise with the team to ensure projects are running on time and targets are met.
- To attend weekly commissioning reviews with the publisher and head of contracts publishing.
- To attend monthly account reviews with the wider team.
- To perform ad hoc duties as needed to ensure team goals are met.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience:
- Degree-level education (publishing qualifications an advantage).
- Previous publishing experience, particularly a good working knowledge of editorial processes.
- Impeccable editorial, organisational and communication skills.
- Previous experience in commissioning necessary (approximately two years) and some experience with copywriting desired. (Training will be available.)
- Previous experience with metadata systems desired. (Training will be available.)
- Knowledge of the UK and/or international education system and market would be useful.
Deadline: 5th October 2022
*Note this is UK salary for onshore employees – anyone employed offshore for this role will be offered in-line with other offshore-based employees working for us, or it will be based upon competitive local salaries if we have no one already working for us in that country.
Get one step closer to working with a diverse and vibrant publishing team!
Get in touch with us at: